Happy Halloween! If you’re doing the trick-or-treating thang with your kiddos or dressing up for an awesome costume party tonight, I hope you stay safe and have a great time!
I will be doing neither. Halloween isn’t really my thing; I’m not big on dressing up in costume myself, and it’s a Monday which means I have a full day of non-food bloggin’ work ahead of me tomorrow. Bills man, they demand to paid.
We’ll likely be having a normal Monday night at our house. We don’t get many kiddos in the neighborhood, which is kind of a shame because while I don’t love dressing up in costume, I do love seeing all the excited and cute kids dressed up. And now that Wrigley, our black lab (that would be Wrigley after the Cubs stadium, not the gum), is 8 1/2 and bordering on old lady status, she could care less who comes to the door and who doesn’t. Oh well.
The good news is that when you’re done eating all of the mini candy delights that Halloween brings I have this great pasta bowl to bring you back from the edge of sugar mountain.
Man oh man, I love a good bowl of pasta, I just don’t eat it that often. I was not blessed with the naturally skinny gene, so I’m usually eating vegetable noodles (which I love love love – hello, I have an entire Spiralizing category AND I’m an Inspiralizer Brand Ambassador!). But once and awhile I need a good ol’ traditional bowl of pasta, and this recipe was perfect.
You can’t get much more flavor than if you add in bacon and goat cheese. The intense flavor of the creamy goat cheese combined with bacon, which I don’t really think needs much of an explanation, because it’s bacon.
Cooking the kale in the bacon grease is a great way to add that flavor throughout the pasta and into the noodles, while also not wasting the grease.
Okay, so at this point I kinda feel like saying ‘use whole wheat pasta’ at this point is like that person that orders the Big Mac and fries then demands a Diet Coke. But ya know I love whole wheat pasta, I think it tastes virtually the same, and why not save yourself some calories? So, use the whole wheat pasta! Save those cals for the bacon and goat cheese!
Let me know what you think of this pasta bowl. Do you want to see more pasta bowls? Anything in particular? I’d love your feedback!
Yields 2 bowls
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 c. of kale, chopped
- 5 slices of bacon
- 2 c. whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Begin by boiling water in a stockpot to cook your noodles. Once boiling add the noodles.
- While the noodles are cooking, cook the 5 slices of bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat (be sure you cook the bacon in a skillet and not the oven, you'll be using the bacon grease and skillet).
- Once the bacon is finished cooking set it to the side to cool, then crumble.
- Check on your noodles and make sure they're cooked al-dente, drain, and add back into the stockpot. Add the crumbled bacon and cover to keep warm.
- In the skillet you cooked the bacon in add the chopped kale to the bacon grease. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring as the kale starts to wilt.
- While the kale is cooking add the olive oil to a medium skillet over high heat and when the oil is hot and shimmering add the cherry tomatoes. Cover and cook on high until the tomatoes burst, approximately 10 minutes.
- When the kale is soft and wilted add it to the noodles and bacon.
- When the tomatoes are cooked and burst, add them to the noodle mixture.
- Sprinkle with pepper, then add in the goat cheese, stirring to combine. If the goat cheese isn't melting turn the burner on low-medium to warm the pot up, constantly stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Divide between two bowls and enjoy!