It’s Monday. We should all be out of our food coma’s by now and back in our routine’s. It’s never fun coming back from a 3 or 4-day weekend, but before we know it Christmas will be here and we’ll have more time off. In the meantime, we definitely have a solid 2-3 weeks of eating well and exercising that we can get in. I believe in balance. I worked out every day last week (even on Thanksgiving) so I could enjoy both of my Turkey Day meals I went to. And I even lost weight! (I’m not questioning the Thanksgiving gods on that one). Either way, no matter how your turkey day went, every day is a new day to start over!
So on to the reason you’re here, and it’s not for me to give you some motivational speech. It’s for this Broccoli White Cheddar Gratin. This is a recipe from the wonderful food blogger Lauren at Climbing Grier Mountain. I am relatively new to the game and definitely low on the food blogging totem pole, but like me Lauren still works a full-time job and blogs on the side. Her site is fantastic and I’m usually drooling at the recipes she shares. She had me at ‘White Cheddar’ when I saw this recipe, but I figured it would be a great post-Thanksgiving recipe to make after all of those starchy sides I would be consuming .
This recipe was super easy to put together (I prepped it early on Sunday and put it in the fridge until I was ready to throw it in the oven), and it did not disappoint in flavor. The house smelled amazing while I was prepping it (hello shallots!) and the homemade cream of chicken soup sauce was fantastic. I like to broil my cheese for a few minutes for that golden, crisp crust, so I only diverted from the recipe in throwing it under the broiler for a few minutes at the end, otherwise I stayed true to Lauren’s recipe. No surprise I give Lauren’s recipe two thumbs up, and definitely recommend that you check out her blog!
What is your favorite sauce or topping to add flavor to your veggies?
Products I used for this recipe:
Broccoli White Cheddar Gratin (from Climbing Grier Mountain)
- 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 recipe cream of chicken soup (see below)
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 c. grated white cheddar cheese
- 8 c. fresh broccoli florets
for the cream of chicken soup…
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, minced (approximately 1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tbsp. gluten-free all-purpose flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 2 quart baking dish and put the broccoli in it. Set the dish aside to make the cream of chicken soup.
to make the soup…
3. In a 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
4. Add in the shallot and garlic, sautéing for 5 minutes or until the shallot starts to soften.
5. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes.
6. While whisking, add in the chicken broth and milk, and continue to whisk until smooth.
7. Simmer until the soup is thick – approximately 2 minutes – and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
8. Add the heavy cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg and red pepper flakes to the soup and whisk until the mixture thickens – about 1-2 minutes.
9. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded white cheddar cheese.
10. Pour the soup and cheese mixture over the broccoli in the baking dish.
11. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
12. Turn the broiler on high and move the oven rack to the second shelf. Put your baking dish on it and broil for 3-5 minutes, or until your cheese is golden brown.
13. The dish will be very hot, so wait 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!