I have been dreaming of baking chicken in the oven ever since my old oven died on me. I mentioned in a previous post that after 15 years we had to say goodbye to our oven, and I’m thrilled to report that we have a new one, and I feel complete!
I had been planning on making this Caprese Hasselback Chicken before my oven died – literally like 2 days beforehand. So then basically I dreamed about baking chicken for the entire two weeks that I was oven-less, and was thrilled to finally be able to do so!
This chicken was the perfect combination of being healthy, yet giving you the feeling that you’ve eaten something cozy and comforting.
The fresh mozzarella baked into the chicken beautifully with a nice golden brown crust, and the tomato juices provide a fresh flavor within the chicken.
The other great thing about this chicken is it takes virtually no time, that you can just ‘set it and forget it’, much like a slow cooker. It can be prepped ahead of time then you can simply put it in the oven to bake while you do other things, or even relax!
On a side note, if you didn’t see my previous post I am proudly a new Inspiralized Brand Ambassador, and have this custom link that you can purchase the Inspiralizer with! My link will take you right to the Inspiralized Shop where you can purchase the Inspiralizer – it’s that easy, and you’ll be able to start turning vegetables and fruits into noodles, and have some really fun and healthy recipes to make!
Serves 4 servings
15 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 8 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 1 large tomato, cut into slices then halved for a total of 8 half slices
- 1/2 c. fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 c. water or chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a 9x9 pan pour the water or chicken broth; you'll want just enough liquid to cover the bottom of the dish and keep the chicken moist while it cooks.
- Season each breast with the garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Cut slits in the chicken every inch of the way down the chicken and 3/4 of the way into the chicken, being sure not to cut through the chicken.
- Stuff a piece of mozzarella and a piece of tomato in each slit, and place the chicken in your 9x9 dish.
- Bake for 45 min-1 hour or until your chicken is cooked through.
- Once finished, add the fresh basil and drizzle with balsamic. Enjoy!