I swear that with each new spiralizing recipe I try, I fall more in love with spiralizing. I feel like a broken record – constantly proclaiming that I’ve ‘found the best recipe yet!’ as we’re eating dinner. Things get even more interesting on the evenings that I spiralize a new vegetable for the first time, and it’s successful. Last night was no exception!
I have many recipes on deck to try from my main go-to food blog, Inspiralized, but I pulled this one to the front of the mix when a girlfriend of mine cooked it and couldn’t stop singing it’s praises – Chicken and Chickpea Broccoli Salad. I have been having a chickpea craving, so this was a perfect light dish to make before I head out of town for the weekend, where I will inevitably eat and drink way too much.
I had never spiralized broccoli before so I made sure to read through not only the recipe, but the section of the Inspiralized blog that talks about how-to spiralize broccoli. It seemed pretty common sense since I’ve been spiralizing for a few months now, but why wouldn’t I read what the expert has to say, and make sure that I’m doing it right?
Side note: I am a BIG fan of creating your own recipes, or variations of your favorites, however I consider myself wise enough to know it’s important to make sure you know what you’re doing first, then have fun!
I listed the recipe below and linked to the original, as I usually do, but wanted to note a few differences from my experience:
– I grilled the chicken for this recipe since the weather was still so nice out, but however you prefer to cook your chicken is fine.
– I had two big broccoli stems and didn’t feel it gave me quite enough noodles for two people, so I spiralized a small zucchini I had and tossed it in with the broccoli and peas to cook for 2-3 minutes (See step 2 below). It worked great, gave me a little more ‘noodles’, and is great filler if you don’t think you have quite enough broccoli.
– The original recipe called for shallots, which I did not have, so I used 1/2 cup of green onion instead. The dressing was AMAZING!
– I cooked all of these things simultaneously so that the meal was warm. I have this thing that a cold pasta salad = side dish, and can’t quite wrap head around it being the whole meal.
Chicken & Chickpea Broccoli Noodles with Feta & Lemon Dressing (Recipe adapted from Inspiralized)
- 1 boneless chicken breast (approximately 1 lb)
- 3-4 big broccoli stems, spiralized using Blade C
- 3/4 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup cooked green peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing…
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 shallot or 1/2 c green onions
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper and grill until chicken is cooked through, dice, and set aside.
2. Place a medium pot filled halfway with water over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in the broccoli noodles, peas, and chickpeas and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the broccoli noodles are softened and cooked al dente. Drain and set aside.
3. Place all of the ingredients for the feta dressing into a food processor and pulse until creamy.
4. Place the noodles, peas and chicken in a big bowl, then add in the dressing. Toss to combine and enjoy!