You’ll never hear me complain when I can eat a meal that is healthy AND feel like I just had amazing comfort food. This Chicken & Asparagus with Garlic Prosciutto Cream Sauce is just that – so filling and comforting while also being low calorie (under 400 calories!), low carb and low fat! You simply can’t beat that combination.
I’m happy to report that I’ve dropped the 3 pounds of vacation weight I gained (I talked about that here) and am feeling good! All of the veggies and lean protein we’re eating are fueling my body and it’s making a difference.
I certainly have a long way to go to be where I want to be, but I’m okay with my progress because I’m not changing my diet, I’m changing my lifestyle. I’m not perfect and I won’t ever deny myself indulgence or fun, but eating good foods that fuel my body and make me feel good is starting to become a part of my regular routine, and I couldn’t be more excited!
This recipe is most definitely going into regular rotation in my house. It’s so so so satisfying as a meal, and I couldn’t believe as I worked through creating this recipe how healthy it shaped up to be.
The asparagus gives you a healthy green covered with a delicious, creamy garlic sauce. The saltiness of the prosciutto packs a natural flavor that brings out the mascarpone and sour cream flavors.
I went back and forth between using pancetta or prosciutto, and I’m curious – do you guys prefer pancetta, prosciutto, or something else?
Serves 1 breast + 1/4 sauce
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. crushed garlic
- 1 1/2 oz. Prosciutto, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 tbsp. mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp. low-fat sour cream
- 8 stalks of asparagus cut into 1/3's or 1/4's (depending on how large your asparagus is)
- 2 tbsp. water
- 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to the skillet and heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chopped prosciutto and asparagus to the pan and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the prosciutto and asparagus, and set aside.
- Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper and add to skillet you just cooked the prosciutto in. Cook for approximately 5-7 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add the white wine to the skillet and bring to a boil, scrapping the bottom of the pan to loosen any brown bits.
- Cook until most of the wine evaporates, approximately 4 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add in the chicken stock, bringing it to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is cook through. Remove the chicken from the pan again.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and sour cream to the skillet and stir together.
- In a seperate bowl whisk the flour and water together, then add the flour mixture to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil then cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked prosciutto and asparagus. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, then serve the sauce over the chicken. Enjoy!