We did it again. We had another vegetarian meal for dinner. And it wasn’t meatless Monday!
When I made my Veggie Quinoa Wraps I noted that we weren’t giving up meat, and I firmly stand by that, but chickpeas are just so full in flavor that I can honestly say this is another recipe that just like the veggie wraps, you won’t even miss the meat.
I had the idea for this recipe because one of my quick go-to sides is to sauté some black beans. I typically throw in some lime juice because I love the flavor, and as I was cooking that side one night the concept of this bowl just sort of dawned on me.
I have roasted chickpeas before and they’re a wonderful, healthy snack, however at that time I had just roasted them with an easy sea salt coating. I promised myself at that time I’d come back and try different flavors, but had put the idea on the back burner – until now!
The chili lime flavor really gives the bowl subtle layers of light mexi-inspired flavor, in particular with the popular citrus-based ceviche dish. The dish definitely has a kick to it, so if you feel like it’s too spicy for your tastebuds add a dollop of sour cream of plain Greek yogurt and you’ll find it mellows you the spiciness.
For those of you paying attention you’ll have noticed that this is the second bowl meal in a row, and that is not by accident.
I’ve always been a fan of bowl meals; I swear that foods just taste better in a bowl! They help you with portion control and you can plan fun bowl meals with themes or have a ‘clean out the fridge’ bowl meal. Stay tuned for more bowl meals and a fun blog announcement related to bowl meals as well on Wednesday!
Yields 2 Bowls
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1, 15oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 tbsp. chili powder, divided
- 2 tbsp. cayenne pepper, divided
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lime, juiced and divided
- 2 c. brussel sprouts, shredded
- 1 c. brown rice, cooked
- 1 c. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 avocado, halved
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- First roast the chickpeas and brussel sprouts by preheating the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine half the chili powder (2 tbsp.), cayenne pepper (1 tbsp.) and salt (1 tsp.).
- In a large bowl coat the chickpeas evenly with half the olive oil (1/2 tbsp.) and lime juice (1/2 lime), then add in the spice mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Lie the chickpeas out on one half of a baking sheet.
- Next, coat the shredded brussel sprouts in the remaining olive oil.
- Once coated add the rest of the spice mixture and toss to coat evenly. Spread the brussel sprouts out on the other half of the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through, until crispy.
- While the chickpeas are roasting place the black beans into a small skillet and coat with 1/2 a juiced limed.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the black beans start to soften (but be sure they're not mushy!).
- In two bowls place half the black beans and half the brown rice in each bowl.
- Once the roasted chickpeas and brussel sprouts are finished roasting add half of each to each bowl.
- Top each bowl with the avocado and any remaining fresh lime juice. Enjoy!