Happy Tuesday friends! I hope your week started off well. I had pretty healthy weekend of eating, and had a really fun girls night participating in a gingerbread house building competition with some of my favorite friends. I didn’t get much cooking done this weekend, but I planned accordingly and was ready to tackle a week of healthy eating.
So fact: I subscribe to wayyyyy too many newsletters, and I’m always struggling to keep up with reading them, but I never have the heart to delete them because I actually do want to read them. As I was trying to catch up this weekend I found this recipe in a one-pot recipe roundup, and it sounded amazing. One Pot Creamy Parmesan Garlic Risotto with Lemon Pepper Chicken. It was from the food blog RecipeTin Eats, and sounded very warm and cozy for a December meal.
Because I’m big on using what you have, I made some adjustments. While I love risotto, I have a lot of quinoa around so I decided to substitute quinoa for the risotto. Also, the recipe calls for bone-in chicken thighs, but I have lots of chicken breasts in my freezer just begging to be used, so I decided to skip the skin and save some calories by using chicken breasts.
This dish ended up being so flavorful and hearty. While I’m quite sure that the risotto would have been excellent, the quinoa also tasted amazing. The white wine and garlic flavor held well to the quinoa, and never in the cooking did it get over cooked and mushy.
Note that this dish takes about an hour from start to finish, so just make sure you have everything prepped and it’s fairly easy to put together. Enjoy!
What are some of your favorite one-pot dishes?
Creamy Parmesan Garlic Quinoa with Lemon Pepper Chicken (Adapted from RecipeTin Eats)
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 3oz chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp. lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat quinoa
- 1/2 c. white wine
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Black pepper
- 3/4 c. of milk
- 1 c. fresh Parmesan
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Coat chicken with lemon pepper season, salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large, oven-proof pan over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside. Discard any excess oil from the pan and wipe it down with a paper towel.
- Return the pan to the stove, still using medium-high heat.
- Melt the butter in the pan, then add garlic and onion, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the quinoa and stir. Add the wine and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the wine is mostly evaporated.
- Add chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer on the stove, stir, then place the chicken on top of the quinoa.
- Place a lid or foil on the pan and transfer to the oven.
- Back for 20 minutes with a lid/foil, then remove the lid/foil and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the quinoa and chicken are cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the rice and stir in the finishes, adding milk if needed to get the mixture creamy.
- Return chicken to the top and finish with any extra Parmesan or herbs. Enjoy!