Happy Tuesday! Have you recovered from that crazy Superbowl?! Neither Dylan’s nor my team were in the Superbowl this year so we didn’t really have any stake in the game, but as a football fan in general that turned out to be one incredible game.
We kept it low key this year. I made snacks and we stayed home watching in our comfy pants. Since we’re trying to eat healthier and not really drinking right now I baked some wings, made a veggie tray, and spent Sunday morning prepping for a week of healthy eating.
One of the healthy bowl meals we’re eating this week are these Crunchy Steak, Tomato & Feta Salad Bowls, and they’re fantastic!
I will admit that I l-o-v-e a good medium rare steak. I know that red meat isn’t good for you and all that, and I have almost 100% switched from using ground beef to ground turkey, but steak is a weakness of mine.
In an effort to incorporate more vegetables into my diet to help keep me full and healthy I decided that I could find balance – I could have the steak I was craving AND incorporate lots of great vegetables by turning it into a steak salad bowl.
When you order a steak salad at a restaurant they always seem to be similar. Delicious, but similar. Lettuce, blue cheese crumbles, steak, and very little additional vegetables. Of course I’m sure that there are many steak salads out there that are loaded with vegetables, but here in Iowa I can’t seem to find them.
I knew that crunch would be an important texture for the salad and the celery and cucumber were the perfect crunchy vegetables for that. I realize that some folks aren’t celery fans, but since celery hardly has a taste and is combined with all of the other flavors in this salad I would encourage you non-celery eaters to give it a try!
The balsamic vinegar was the perfect dressing for this salad. It gave the salad a tangy and bold taste, without taking away from the flavors of the steak, vegetables and feta cheese. It also saves on calories, and is always a great go-to when you’re not sure what dressing you want or you don’t have many options on hand.
What are you favorite types of salads? In my quest to eat healthier I want to make more salad bowls and would love to know what you love!
Yields 4 bowls
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 4, 6-8oz. steaks
- 4 c. spring mix salad
- 1/2 c. sliced almonds
- 1 c. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- Salt, peper and garlic powder
- Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Season the steak with a dash of salt, pepper and garlic powder in each side.
- Cook steaks for 5-7 minutes on each side, set aside and let steak rest for 15 minutes.
- While steak is resting in large bowl mix the salad mix, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, and feta.
- Slice the steak thinly and mix into the salad.
- Drizzle with balsamic and olive oil and toss.
- Add the sliced almonds and enjoy!