I’m on a bit of a twice baked sweet potato binge right now. I found a recipe for them with using bacon and goat cheese and made them last week, and I was hooked.
So I’m not much of a sweets girl. What I mean is that while I can appreciate a good brownie or piece of cheesecake, my cravings usually fall on the salty side. I’d rather have a bag of chips than a cookie.
Sweet potatoes have been a bit of a journey for me. It’s not that I ever disliked them, but if I’ve ever wanted a potato in the past I always went towards regular potatoes because of my salty food cravings. When I started trying sweet potatoes it was because I’d purchased my first spiralizer and I was intrigued with so many of the recipes I was finding. I discovered that sweet potatoes don’t have to be so overwhelmingly sweet – my crispy sweet potato “fries” are one of my favorite recipes!
Now that I’m eating more sweet potatoes I have also learned so much about how healthy they are. They are packed with so many vitamins and nutrients that fuel your body and keep your skin looking young. And the healthy carbs are a great source of energy to fuel a great workout session.
Now, despite the fact that I prefer salty foods and that sweet potatoes can be spiced up for a healthy side, sometimes a person just needs some sweetness in her life. Since a Snickers, while delicious, isn’t going to fit into my meal plan, I figured I would make some more twice baked sweet potatoes and turn them into a semi-healthy dessert.
There really is very little to this recipe, and it will take care of your sweet tooth craving in an instant. I put 3/4 of a cup of the dark chocolate chips into the sweet potato mixture and found that I could actually back that off a bit if I wanted. A little goes a long way. And you barely need any caramel; the dessert is decadent enough as it is, that a small drizzle of the caramel flavoring just hits the spot.
Only three ingredients and you have yourself a filling dessert that is under 400 calories. Enjoy!
COMMENT BELOW: Do you prefer your sweet potatoes sweet or salty?
5 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- Two large sweet potatoes
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 c. dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. Smuckers Salted Caramel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half, and pierce holes in the potato side with a fork; about 5 or 6 different piercings.
- Spray the entire potato with cooking spray.
- Place the potato side down on a baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Scoop the potato out of the shell into a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Stir in the dark chocolate chips and scoop them back into the shells.
- If you want to warm the potatoes up slightly, put them back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
- Drizzle the salted caramel on top. Enjoy!
PRODUCTS USED IN THIS RECIPE:
- Low calorie