I’m officially throwing my hands up and surrendering – I am a vegetable hoarder. Between my garden, the farmers market, the grocery store, and taking veggies from co-workers who bring extras in, I am admitting that I have a problem.
On the bright side, my veggie hoarding problem has meant that we are eating so many more vegetables, and I have to say that I thought we already did a pretty good job eating veggies.
The other day I literally just took 1/3 of the veggies out of my crisper, coated them with a little olive oil, seasoning salt and pepper, tossed them onto a baking sheet, and roasted them for 25 minutes.
I’ve never been one of those people who eats meatless or vegetarian meals. We always had meat with our meal growing up, and it’s taken me over 30 years to actually begin eating meals that don’t have meat. I was always afraid that I wouldn’t be full or satisfied, but as I continue to eat more veggies, I find that that is not the case at all. A veggie-filled meal can leave you feeling completely great!
Veggie lasagna was a dish in particular that I’ve been wanting to try for awhile now. One would think that I would have found time by now to make this easy dish, but we rarely eat pasta, and when we do it’s when we’re eating out so we don’t have a whole pan of it leftover.
This deconstructed veggie lasagna bowl was the perfect way to finally try that veggie lasagna because you can load up on all the healthy vegetables, roll up three lasagna noodles with the creamy ricotta mix, then melt a dash of mozzarella on top for that delicious veggie lasagna taste, but with just over 500 calories – so worth it!
What are your favorite vegetables to put in your veggie lasagna?
Items used in this post:
Serves 1 bowl
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked
- 3/4 c. (12 tbsp.) ricotta
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 c. (12 tbsp.) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 c. spaghetti sauce
- 2 c. zucchini, chopped
- 1 1/2 c. kale, chopped
- 1 c. fresh mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 c. shredded carrots
- 2 tbsp. oregano
- 2 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine the ricotta cheese and egg white. Whip together until smooth and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan heat up the spaghetti sauce for approximately 5 minutes, or until warm.
- Divide the spaghetti sauce into the bottom of each bowl and set bowls aside.
- In a saute pan heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the pan is warm, add the carrots, mushrooms, kale and zucchini, then season with the salt, pepper, oregano and basil.
- Saute the vegetables for 8-10 minutes, or until tender crisp.
- Divide the vegetables between the two bowls.
- Lay your six lasagna noodles out onto a flat surface, and put 2 tbsp. of the ricotta down the middle of each noodle.
- Roll the noodles up, and place three ricotta noodles in each bowl.
- Sprinkle half of the mozzarella over each bowl, then place each bowl on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes, or until the mozzarella is melted. Enjoy!