I have to be honest – I had no intention of posting this recipe. In fact, I was impressed that I even got a healthy dinner made on the evening that I made this. We did a big grocery store run after returning from vacation and the goal for dinner was quick, healthy and easy. I thawed out some chicken breasts and figured a salad would require the least maintenance after we ran all of our errands that evening. But what ended up coming together was amazing; my new go-to salad from here on out.
So a fun fact about me is that in addition to being a bad breakfast eater (see 100 Calorie Egg Muffin post), I am a horrible fruit eater. It’s not that I don’t like fruit, I very much do, but I am a salty-food craving gal all the way. I’ll take a bag of chips over ice cream any day of the week. I tend to gravitate towards that side of my palette on instinct, and I know I need to do a much better job of getting in more fruits. So what possessed me to put strawberries in my salad I don’t know, but I’m hooked. The balance of the sweetness from the strawberries, with the sharpness of the goat cheese made for a fantastic combination.
For the salad dressing I used Bolthouse Farms Caramelized Sweet Onion Yogurt Dressing. I can’t brag enough about Bolthouse Farms; if I don’t make my own dressing I swear by theirs. At only 40 calories, 2g of fat and 4g of carbs per serving, it’s such a delicious and healthy dressing (try the Salsa Ranch, you’ll want to drink it by the bottle).
I hope you enjoy this easy and healthy recipe as much as I did, and I would love to hear about what your favorite salad dressings are – homemade or store bought! Tell me below in the comments!
Side note: I updated my recipe template so it’s now in this lovely box that allows you print just the recipe, along with prep time, cook time, serving size, notes and nutritional information. Convenient!
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 bunches of butter lettuce (1 bunch of butter lettuce)
- 8 oz. strawberries, chopped (4 oz. strawberries)
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese (2 oz. goat cheese)
- 1 c. sliced almonds (1/2 c. sliced almonds)
- 1/2 large red onion, roughly chopped (1/4 large red onion)
- One avocado, divided into quarters (1/2 avocado)
- 4, 3 oz. chicken breasts (2, 3 oz. chicken breasts)
- Season the chicken breasts with a little salt and pepper, and in a grill pan (or grill if it's warm where you are), grill the chicken.
- Chop up each head of butter lettuce, dividing it into four bowls.
- Layer with the strawberries, onion, avocado and goat cheese.
- Chop up the cooked chicken and place on the salad.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds on top.
The nutritional value does not include the salad dressing. Be sure to factor your preferred dressing choice in if you're counting calories/fat/carbs/protein/sugar, etc.
I actually made this recipe for two people - a salad for each of us for dinner, and a salad for each of us for lunch the next day. Look for the smaller portion size after each ingredient to learn how to cut this recipe down to 2 servings!
- Low calorie
- Vegetarian – Simply remove the chicken for a delicious fruit and veggie loaded salad!