One of the best things about living in Iowa is, hands down, the corn. Idaho has potatoes, Florida has oranges, and we here in Iowa have corn. Of course our wonderful farmers grow much more than corn here in Iowa, but corn is probably what we’re most known for, at least if you’re outside of the farming industry.
When the fresh sweet corn is finally ready, farmers set up stands on street corners all around the city and you can stop and buy fresh sweet corn right from the backs of their trucks (peaches and cream sweet corn is my fav!). It’s fantastic, and I’m so proud to be from a farming state, and so grateful for everything that farmers do for not only us here in Iowa, but the whole country!
And now that summer is officially here it seemed like the perfect time to create a fresh, healthy corn salad.
Grilled corn is my favorite. When the kernels get charred and the ear is dotted golden yellow and black the corn tastes like a fusion of sweet, juicy softness and popcorny-rich crispiness. It’s tough to not just eat the corn right off the cob, but knowing it would make an amazing corn salad I mustered up some willpower.
The red wine sauce provides a light vinaigrette that enhances the flavor of all the vegetables without overpowering them. It lets the overall texture of the salad breath and lets each vegetable sing it’s own song as the flavors ooze together in perfect pitch.
As a side note, the dressing was pretty great and would make a fantastic marinade or salad dressing.
Do you have a go to light dressing you make or buy? Comment below if so; I’d love to learn more about it!
Serves 1/4 bowl
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 4 ears of corn, grilled
- 1 c. frozen edamame, shelled and cooked
- 1/2 c. red onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 c. red wine vinaigrette
- 1/3 c. dry red wine
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Cut all of the grilled corn from the cob and place in a large bowl.
- Toss the edamame, red onion, tomato and parmesan with the corn.
- In a small bowl make the dressing by combining the red wine vinaigrette, red wine, balsamic, dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Once the dressing is combined, toss with the corn and other vegetables.
- You can either serve immediately or store in the fridge until ready to eat, allowing the dressing to flavor the veggies even more. Enjoy!