Fall may be in the air but there isn’t snow on the ground yet (at least not in most places!), so it’s still the perfect time to make a Hawaiian-inspired bowl to make you feel like you’re lounging on the beach instead of breaking out the cozy sweaters and jackets.
I wanted to combine that pork and pineapple flavor – the savory and sweet – in a refreshing way, and this bowl was the perfect recipe for that.
While you’re certainly free to add sauce, the juices from the pineapple and spices are enough to make your tastebuds really happy – I promise! If you want a little more sweetness you can save some of the pineapple juice that will naturally come off of it before you grill it, then drizzle the juice over the pork and veggies.
Also, stay tuned for Wednesday when I reveal the big change coming to my blog! I am so so excited about this, and I hope you will be too. 🙂
As a quick side note, I will be on vacation October 12-18 in Asheville, NC. We’re going with two other couples to hike in the mountains, eat and drink for a week. You’ll still see some new recipes posted while I’m gone, and I’ll be back with a recap of my trip shortly afterwards, but in the meantime you can find me not only here on the blog, but also on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, and be sure to subscribe to the blog to stay up-to-date on the latest recipes!
Yields 2 Bowls
15 minPrep Time
4 hrCook Time
4 hr, 15 Total Time
- 1, XXoz. pork loin
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 tbsp. garlic salt
- 1 tbsp. pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 4 large pieces of pineapple (or 8 small pieces)
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 large zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 avocado, divided in half
- 1 c. brown rice, cooked
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 lime
- To cook your pork loin, combine the garlic salt, pepper, onion powder and dried basil in a small bowl together.
- Place 1/2 cup of water at the bottom of your slow cooker and put the pork loin in.
- Carefully pat the spice mixture onto the pork loin, spreading evenly over the top and sides, then add the diced garlic over the spices.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of the pork loin cooking begin preparing the rest of the bowl.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat and heat until the oil is hot and shimmering.
- Add the sliced zucchini and chopped onion, then stir in the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- On a grill or grill pan grill the pineapple for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Begin building your bowl by putting half the brown rice in each bowl.
- Add the sauteed vegetables and grilled pineapple.
- Slice the pork loin into 1" slices and add 3 pieces to each bowl.
- Finish add 1/2 of the avocado to each bowl, and top with fresh squeezed lime juice. Enjoy!