Happy Thursday! Are you ready for your weekend? It’s almost here, and we have quite the busy weekend ahead of us. A trip to Pet Smart to shop for Wrigley, a wine night get together on Friday, two ugly sweater parties on Saturday, then another get together on Sunday. I typically enjoy having at least one night at home on the weekend, but this is going to be one of those ‘how is it Monday already?!‘ weekends that I’ll need to recover from.
Have you heard of loaded cauliflower? It’s a pretty standard recipe that bakes mayo, sour cream and cheese into the vegetables for a creamy side. I actually used to make a cauliflower and broccoli gratin as a side back in my low-carb diet days that became a staple for me.
Since giving up the diet fads and trying to just eat healthier in general I hadn’t made this side in quite a while, and was reminded of it when I was on Pinterest last week. That got me to thinking, how could I make this into a bowl meal?
Everything tastes better in a bowl and I knew I could add more to this dish to keep it to an easy bowl meal that would be fun and comforting. Shredded chicken was the immediate addition that came to mind, and since I had done some meal prepping and had slow cooked some chicken breasts it was so easy to fold into the cauliflower.
In my quest to purge and organize I had went through my pantry and found a couple of dry ranch packets, so I mixed half of a ranch packet into the light mayo and light sour cream mixture for a different flavor than the garlic salt and pepper I typically use.
The ranch added a flavor that went perfect with the sour cream base. I used turkey bacon to keep the dish a little healthier, as well as a low fat cheese. These are all choices you can make when you buy your standard products that will save you tons of calories, yet never skimp on flavor. Trust me. I don’t even remember the last time I bought full-fat anything when it comes to dairy products and not once has anyone that I’ve cooked for ever noticed.
Let me know what you think of the addition of chicken to this dish, and also if you’d like to see more low-carb meals?
On a side note, if you’re like me and weren’t into the whole line thing for Black Friday but want some good deals then check out my 2016 Holiday Gift Guide. I have gifts for the host/hostess in your life, stocking stuffer ideas, cookbooks, practical kitchen gadgets and big ticket items; plenty of gift ideas at affordable price points for the foodie, home cook or chef in your life! Plus I’m still getting emails from all of my favorite shops still giving me discounts. Maybe they’re not Cyber Monday discounts, but everything still seems to be on some sort of sale.
I hope you enjoy this dish, and I’d love to hear what you think if you try it! You can find me not only here on the blog, but also on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, and be sure to subscribe to the blog to stay up-to-date on the latest recipes!
Yields 2 bowls
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped in florets
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 packet dry ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 c. mayo
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 c. + 1/2 c. shredded colby cheese
- 1/2 c. green onion, diced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine 1 c. cheese, dry ranch dressing, sour cream and mayo. Stir until combined and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add the cauliflower. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the cauliflower is softened. Drain and add the cauliflower to the large bowl with the sauce.
- Add 4-5 slices of bacon and the shredded chicken to the bowl, stirring to combine.
- Divide the chicken and cauliflower mix between two bowls, then top with the remaining 1/2 c. of cheese and bacon.
- Place the two bowls on a baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove and top each onion with the green onions. Enjoy!