Have you guys noticed that blueberry recipes seem to be all the rage lately, or is it just me? Seriously, a couple weeks ago I received an email for Dark Chocolate Brownies with Blueberry Marshmallow Frosting from a food blog I subscribe to, Climbing Grier Mountain, and suddenly this salty-food craving gal needs those brownies with that blueberry frosting in her life.
What doesn’t need those brownies though is my waistline, so I decided to use get my blueberry fix by incorporating them into a fun salad.
We just got back from spending the weekend in Chicago seeing Billy Joel preform at Wrigley Field, and thus checking another artist off my concert bucket list. He was amazing. Simply amazing. He was everything I wanted him to be as he sang his sweet melodies, and if you’re thinking about seeing him preform, he’s worth every penny!
But alas our travels don’t stop there. We’re heading to Fort Collins, CO this Thursday and staying over Labor Day weekend where I’ll be partaking in plenty of beer drinking, plus I’ve decided that we’re hiking a trail that is labeled as ‘strenuous’, so those brownies have gotsta wait until winter when I can hide in oversized cozy sweaters and scarves.
But this salad though, it hit all the right notes – sweet, salty, crunchy and healthy.
The mashed blueberries are the key here. Anyone can throw blueberries in a salad, and no doubt it would taste good, but by mashing them into the chicken you’re giving the chicken a layer of blueberryey goodness that you can’t get by just tossing them blueberries in. I sense myself being obsessed with mashing fruit into my chicken going forward. So you’ve been warned.
My easy go-to salad dressing, when I’m not using Bolthouse Farms, is a simple balsamic vinegar. It goes so well in salad with fruit because you don’t want your dressing to take over the delicious natural flavors of the fruit or the feta cheese. Gone are the days are drowning your salad in ranch (unless you’re making a BBQ Ranch Chicken Salad of course!)
Oh, and if you make those brownies, tell me all about how amazingly gooey and chocolatey and blueberryey they were!
Serves 1 Salad
10 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
22 minTotal Time
- 1 head of butter lettuce, cleaned and chopped
- 1 c. blueberries, divided
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked
- 1/4 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cucumber sliced, then quartered
- 4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar, divided
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Divide the lettuce between two salad bowls.
- Toss the onion, feta and cucumber into the salad.
- Divide the blueberries into 1/4 cups. Take 1/4 cup and mash it over one chicken breast. Take the second 1/4 cup and mash it over the second chicken breast.
- Add the remaining two quarter cups (1/2 c.) of blueberries to the salad.
- Place one chicken breast over each salad.
- Top with fresh cracked black pepper and 2 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar on each salad. Enjoy!