It’s Monday and it’s the start of a brand new week! I hope you had wonderful weekend; we did our first hiking excursion here in Iowa! There are many great places to hike here, believe it or not, and instead of continuing to talk about wanting to check them out, we decided to just pick one and go.
We ended up going to Yellow Forest State Park, about 2 hours north of us. Known for their bluffs, hiking trails, and streams, I was excited to check the area. We are actually taking a trip to Asheville, North Carolina in October with friends, and we rented a house at the base of the Smokey Mountains so I figured we needed to get to hiking here at home if we have any hope of hiking in the Smokey’s.
It was physically challenging, fun, beautiful, and we rewarded ourselves by stopping at Franklin Street Brewing, a local craft brewery, on our way home.
In addition to the hiking, we also have been doing a good job of eating healthier. We just take it one day at a time, and the deconstructed bowls have been a tremendous help.
I’ve noticed that I’ve been very snacky lately however, so I’ve been trying to keep healthier snack options around in case the cravings hit. These Mini Chicken Asian Wonton Tacos were so easy to make and the perfect snack because they’re loaded with veggies and protein, but the wonton wrappers don’t bog you down with all the carbs that traditional shells do.
They’re light, fun, a great snack for both at home or if you’re attending a party.
Please note that I added a tad of Asian salad dressing however I did not account for that in the recipe’s nutrition. I used Litehouse’s Toasted Ginger dressing and highly recommend it (it’s only 40 calories per serving and has 0g of fat), however with all the different kinds of dressing available be sure you add the nutritional value of yours into the recipe if you’re tracking calories, fat, carbs, or any other nutritional information.
“Mini” foods are a popular trend; do you prefer regular or “mini” foods?
Serves 3 tacos
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 1 1/2 c. shredded chicken
- 1 c. shredded carrots
- 1 c. red cabbage, shredded
- 1 c. green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 c. Asian dressing
- 1 tbsp. ginger
- 1/2 tbsp. dried cilantro
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Take a 9x13 pan and drape the wontons over the edges with a pointed edge of the wonton pointed in a downward direction. Do not overlap the wontons.
- Bake for 3-4 minutes, watching the wontons carefully so they don't burn. Remove and cool, and do not turn off your oven.
- While the wontons are cooling in a large bowl combine the shredded chicken, cabbage, and carrots.
- Add in the lime juice, then add the ginger, cilantro and black pepper seasoning. Finally, mix the dressing into the chicken and vegetable mix.
- Carefully scoop the mixture inside your cooled wonton wrappers and place on a baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of the each wonton taco with a non stick spray, and bake for another 5 minutes or until the wonton tacos are warm. Enjoy!