I know what you’re thinking – cauliflower as mashed potatoes – gross! Well, do yourself a favor and hold that thought, and have an open mind, because it’s actually quite delicious!
Now I’m not going to lie to you and say that it tastes the exact same, because of course it doesn’t. But with the right amount of seasoning you can come damn close!
The base recipe I use is from the food blog Eat Yourself Skinny. Her recipe is Rosemary & Garlic Cauliflower Mash, but you can make this recipe anything you want! Consider it your template. I typically use a mix of cheeses – blue cheese and the garlic and herb cheese that she recommends, as well as WAY more garlic than recommended.
I also started my own garden this last spring and I grew chives, so I was always using freshly chopped chives, but you can use whatever you favorite is – rosemary, chive, green onions, bacon – anything!
Go ahead and give it a try – you might be surprised, and your waistline will thank you!
Cheese & Garlic Cauliflower Mash ( Recipe adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny)
Serving: 4 Servings
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 1/4 c. chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp. blue cheese
- 1 wedge Laughing Cow cheese (Garlic & Herb)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chopped chives
1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and add your chopped cauliflower. Boil for about 10 minutes, until cauliflower is soft. Drain and pat dry with a towel.
2. Add cauliflower to your food processor and add chicken stock, Greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic and cheese; process until completely smooth. NOTE: Feel free to add more Greek yogurt as needed for creaminess.
3. Stir in salt, pepper and chives to taste. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1/2 cup