Yeah, you read that title correctly. Mashed potatoes AND pepperoni pizza. Holy deliciously amazing alfjdklafjlkadfjoieafajkdlajfdl! Okay okay, so there’s not actually any potato in it, but that’s what makes it healthier (and low carb!). And if you haven’t tried cauliflower mashed potatoes yet, relax and live a little because with some cheese and other ingredients, they’re quite delicious.
I absolutely stumbled upon this recipe. While perusing the interwebs I had found a recipe for a cauliflower pizza casserole. Pretty simple and straightforward – mash some cauliflower with some cheese, layer, and top with more cheese and pepperoni. It seemed simple enough, and because I’m addicted to anything pizza, I was in for this recipe.
The more I thought about this recipe though, the more I couldn’t stop thinking about mashed potatoes. Er, mashed cauliflower. I love it, and I couldn’t wrap my head around how this would be a “casserole.” So I decided that I would take this recipe and make it into my own – pizza mashed “potatoes”!
Oh how I am glad I did. It was ah-mazing. The smoothness of mashed “potatoes” combined with the stringy cheese of pizza; mouthwatering! You can of course add the ingredients of your choosing, but think about what you would want in your mashed potatoes for texture, first. For example, I’m not so sure I would mushrooms in this, but I do love mushrooms on a regular pizza.
Whatever you do, just run to your local market and get what you need to make this. You’ll feel so satisfied, but you’ll have the peace of mind that you used healthy alternatives to fuel your body and make a dish that everyone is sure to love!
Pepperoni Pizza Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- One head of cauliflower, washed and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp. half and half
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c. greek yogurt
- Turkey pepperoni
- 3 tbsp. pizza sauce
- 1/2 c. asiago cheese
- 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a microwave safe bowl mix the cauliflower, half and half, and butter together. Microwave for 10 minutes, stir, then microwave for another 5 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
3. In a food processor combine the cauliflower (with the half and half mixture), greek yogurt, 9 slices of pepperoni, and the asiago cheese. Pulse until smooth. Salt and pepper.
4. In an 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish, spread the cauliflower mixture on the bottom of the pan. Layer with the pizza sauce, then sprinkle the mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheese on top, then layer the pepperoni.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, then sprinkle chopped basil on top. Enjoy!