Alright people. Everyone pause what you’re doing because we need to talk about this salad. In my quest to get healthy I created this salad that is the mother of all salads. I mean, if you’re into BBQ and being healthy and shizzz.
So I have a confession. I mayyyyyyyy have had too much wine one night and ordered a sample pack of Tesserae’s sauces one evening. I’d been wanting to try their sauces, which are commonly used for the Whole 30 diet. Thanks to Prime shipping a couple of days later I had a mystery package on my doorstep and eight new bottles of sauces to try. Oops! I suppose it’s better than waking up to Doritos or Burger King wrappers.
So needless to say I’ve been incorporating them into my recipes, and decided this salad was a great place to use their BBQ. I’ve seen some of the other food bloggers I know use Matty’s BBQ and thought this would be the perfect salad to try it on. And it was. Oh was it ever.
I can’t explain the taste of Matty’s. I traditionally stay away from sweeter BBQ sauces, and at first bite you think that Matty’s BBQ is going to be a sweet taste, than it takes a turn in toning down the sweetness and mellowing out to more of a regular BBQ sauce. It’s crazy! And so so delicious!
This was also my first time roasting artichokes, which was super duper easy and I’m a lil’ embarrassed that I haven’t done it before. I love artichokes; I’m that person who gets excited when the spin dip comes to the table and it has big chucks of artichokes. Okay and cream cheese. Always cream cheese. But the roasted flavors of the artichokes goes well with the BBQ sauce as well.
To counteract the BBQ flavor the blue cheese was fantastic! Bold and bright, the flavor of blue added a nice balance to the sauce, and the crispness of the asparagus and radishes. If the taste of blue cheese is too much for your palette, you can always substitute feta in and if I was a betting woman (ya know, other than the Powerball ticket I bought last night – hello $340+ million dollazzzz!) I would bet that it would taste great.
So wish me luck on that Powerball thang tonight, and tell me what your favorite BBQ sauce is. OH – and this is not a sponsored post, ya’ll. This is just my honest feedback of Matty’s BBQ sauce. If you’re decide to get wine drunk and order it, here is the link:
COMMENT BELOW: What is your favorite go-to BBQ sauce?
Serves 1 salad
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- One large head of butter lettuce
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups artichokes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/3 c. BBQ sauce
- 1/2 c. blue cheese
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 5 stalks of asparagus, cut into thirds
- Begin by roasting the artichokes - preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Drain the artichokes in place in a medium bowl. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Spread the seasoned artichokes out on an uncreased baking sheet. Bake for 18-20, tossing halfway through.
- Chop the butter lettuce and divide between two salad bowls.
- Add half of the blue cheese, sliced radishes and asparagus pieces to each salad. Toss to combine.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded chicken and BBQ sauce. Add the chicken to the salad.
- Top with half of the roasted artichokes. Enjoy!