I know, I know. Who makes soup in the middle of summer? Well I do. I don’t believe that you have to wait for certain seasons or weather to make something. Sure, hot chocolate is wonderful on a cold winter’s day, but if you want hot chocolate in July? Go for it!
The kale in our garden is CRAZY right now and I swear it begins to grow back the moment we pick it. Since there are only so many kale salad’s a person can eat I started brainstorming what other recipes I could add kale too, and zuppa toscana soup sounded like a great soup I could put my own spin on!
I decided to put a fun spiralized twist on the soup to give it a little more substance and the zucchini noodles were the perfect healthy addition. There’s a group of us ladies at work that have gardens and I was excited and grateful to snag a garden fresh zucchini from one of my favorite co-workers since my zucchini hasn’t quite started to grow yet (any day now though, the leaves/vines are growing so fast!).
The chicken sausage allows you to keep the ‘sausage’ element in there (that’s how the traditional recipe is cooked), but switching to chicken sausage gives you a much healthier alternative. I think a turkey sausage would be great too, and of course traditional Italian sausage is always a winner if you’re not as concerned about the calorie or fat content.
The flavors all came together nicely and this dish is just a great light summer soup that allows you to use the fresh veggies you can get at your local farmers market, or perhaps straight from your backyard like me!
I’m off to camp and hike this weekend but I’ll be back next week with some fun, healthy new recipes. And be sure to tell me what you like to do with kale – I’d love to have some new ideas for all this kale I have growing!
15 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 2 medium zucchini, spiralized blade B
- 1 lbs. chicken sausage
- 3 medium russet potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 4 c. kale, roughly chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 64 oz. chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- In a large skillet cook the chicken sausage with the red pepper flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper until over medium-high heat, until the sausage is cooked through. Remove the seasoned sausage and set aside.
- In the same skillet cook the garlic and onions, scraping any brown bits from the bottom into the mix, until the onions are translucent; approximately 5 minutes. Add to the sausage.
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until potatoes are done, approximately 20-30 minutes. Check potatoes to make sure they are cooked and continue cooking until done.
- Stir in the heavy cream and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage, chopped kale and zucchini noodles in and cook for another 5 minutes. Enjoy!