Happy post Thanksgiving! I hope your holiday and your Black Friday went well (if you’re into that sort of thing, anyway). I prefer to keep my shopping online if I can, particularly at this time of year. The last two weeks have been crazy – my full-time job has been busy, to say the least, and I’ve hit a pretty good groove with my workouts. As a result I’ve been going to bed around 8:30-9pm each night – so old! But I’m getting back in my routine and made these amazing steak tex-mex bowls the other night that I had to share!
I had meant to make them a couple days before I actually did, but I kept the steak marinating for two days in lime juice and cilantro, and the result was spectacular! For me, the key to marinating isn’t just soaking something in the sauce or juice, but I poke holes in the meat to let whatever I’m marinading it in, soak into the meat. And for the record, it’s never dried out the meat when cooking – something I’m really picky about because who want their meat dried out. Yuck.
This meal was super filling; I could only eat about 1/3 of my bowl before I had to put the rest into leftovers. At a restaurant, a tex-mex bowl can run easily into the 1,000 calorie range, but making it at home using healthy ingredients saves a ton of calories. You can save yourself even more calories by substituting chicken or shrimp and this meal can easily be under 500 calories.
Steak Tex-Mex Bowls
- One large 10oz. ribeye
- 1 c. whole wheat quinoa
- 8 tbsp. light sour cream
- 8 tbsp. salsa
- 1 c. black beans
- 1. mexi corn
- 1 lime, sliced up
- Half of a large avocado
- 8 tbsp. ranch (I use Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Ranch)
- 8 tbsp. queso
- 1 c. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. dried cilantro
- With a fork, poke holes in the steak and marinate with lime juice and cilantro overnight.
- Grill your steak to your preference and let the meat sit for 15 minutes before dicing into bite-sized pieces.
- While the steak is grilling, make your quinoa and fluff afterwards.
- In bowls, divide up all of your ingredients and place even amounts in all four bowls – steak, quinoa, corn, avocado and black beans.
- Top with 2 tbsp of sour cream, salsa, queso, and drizzle with ranch.
- Squeeze the lime wedge into the bowl and enjoy!